Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The heart in my stone


Steve surprised with a new diamond last year for Christmas. Our good friend Ronnie who is a jeweler helped us with the setting, and I had a new ring in a few weeks. On Valentine's Day, I had a big surprise! I noticed that I could see the shadow of a heart, and if I tipped the ring, it would move from quadrant to quadrant, as the cut is symmetrical. I could not capture it in a photo. So we popped over to see Ronnie, and he had not seen the shadow before, either. There are some diamonds on the market - hearts afire - but this is not one of them. It is not a flaw in the diamond. Ronnie was able to capture it; you may have to click on the image to see it. (Btw, did you notice that my ring has balls! It's a tough cookie!)
Strangely, at times, the heart will disappear. It seems to act like a barometer. Currently, the heart is not visible, although I believe that it is waiting patiently below the surface to reappear. I have tried cleaning the ring to no avail. I thought it was perhaps my aging eyesight, so I asked my children if they could see it anymore and they could not. I don't think I control this heart in my stone anymore than I can control my own heart. It just seems to know what it wants.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a solid, sleek setting, yet warm too. A magic ring that reveals a heart's secrets to the wearer- sounds like a wonderful story. Your husband is a gifted giver.

Great post!

suZen said...

I guess it could truly be a mood ring. Is it the light? Or is it magic and psychic???