Monday, July 2, 2007

On the serious side

In addition to the fun girls weekend, and the connection with my very best friends ever (and you know who you are . . . ), today - and only because my flight got cancelled (again) I went to see my Aunt Judy, who has Alzheimer's and went into a nursing home in Evanston, IL a couple years ago. I'm pretty sure she didn't know exactly who I was, but I did make her smile and I did make her laugh. Talk about perfect timing . . . the Reverend Diann Santschi, who eased Judy's transition into a nursing home was there visiting. She remembered me, and she wanted to come back later, but I asked her please to let me be included in what she came to do, which was to anoint my aunt and pray with her. She hesitated, but I insisted. She said that my aunt had been sad, with tears, and depressed in recent days. So we sat, the three of us, and my aunt had the most unusual expression on her face, almost fearful, as Diane read to her the passages. She was so concentrated on what Diann was saying to her, stopping her only once to ask her a question. It was hard not to be emotional, and of course I was, as the scripture that she read was geared towards those who are suffering. I was fortunate enough to spend 45 minutes with my aunt, seeing glimpses of recognition. I plan on following up with Diann, who has visited Judy so frequently to pray with her, and it so calms her in this time of anxiety.

Again, love you all, susan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a close connection you have with your aunt, despite Alzheimers. You paint a beautiful scene of the three women in the nursing home, praying together.