Friday, September 21, 2007

Georgia Wildlife

I was walking through my neighborhood with my friend Sue, when we spotted the infamous "East Cobb Crane." This little fella (or gal) is responsible for the demise of many a crop of koi all across our small mini ponds. (I don't have that problem as I have big dog and little dog). Many mornings I hear the cry of a small child - but, no: is that an owl? And I always view hawks circling. If you have never observed the 'birds of prey' demo at Calloway Gardens, or anywhere else, you must!

Buddy and Sheila, circling dragonflies . . . blue-tailed skinks . . .chipmunks, raccoons, opossums, squirrels, everywhere . . . scorpions are native . . . have never seen them but my exterminator did. Better him than me! La Cucarahca! La Cucaracha! Comes with the territory.

The neighborhood one over has had problems with timberwolves, apparently eating family pets. In winter you can smell the pine, and always something burning. I feel very close to nature here in Georgia, as it grows into every crack and crevice and frequently right into my house!

But wait - in the prairies of Illinois I also remember: red winged blackbirds, who would swoop down on unsuspecting runners and attack . . . once an owl came to live on top of my grandparent's home . . . and lots of bunnies, of course. It is there, wherever you look, wherever you live! Enjoy!

1 comment:

suZen said...

I might have been wrong about the timberwolves . . . they might have been coyotes . . . ooooo, ooooo, oooooooooooo!