Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Swimming with the fishes

Today I enjoyed a bath with a new insect friend. He was lurking in the drain, Mr. Silverfish. Boy, did I hop out of there fast. What is it about the end of summer that brings West Nile viral mosquitoes, silverfish, and massive cockroaches indoors? Just a night ago during a trip to the commode I looked down - and mind you - I can't see much without my glasses - saw a 3 inch La Cucaracha waddling into my water closet. Speedy I was, leaping to safety. Then he made his big mistake - he followed me. I screamed. Steve asked "do you need me in there?" Crunch. No comment. I am a believer in the right to live - I don't demolish insects that help out in other ways, like spiders. But aggressive or bloodsucking (or ugly - sorry) insects have to go!

Why I am writing about insects? Clearly some time has been freed up since the kiddies went back to school. Do I miss them, do I pine away? No. I am with them so much I have accumulated time credits. I am enjoying their return to school and later, discussions about their day. I am basking in the time spent apart (makes the heart grow fonder!). I am discovering the fact that the house doesn't get dirty when I turn around - the mystery is solved. The doggies get so excited, they have already learned the new bus routes and bark when the big yellow monster rumbles down the street. School starts. Moms return to the YMCA to work out. Traffic comes to a standstill, lagging behind school busses. It's still hot but we start yearning for sweaters and fall fashions. It's a new year, American scholastic style. Life goes on.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, I'm so glad that the new school year has begun for you. . .another week to go for us. Mommy will get her groove back in a hurry once she has some time to herself again! I can picture the happiness that will soon be mine, but until then, I'm just struggling along, one day at a time.
Anyway, I heartily agree on the bug issue--too many want to live at my house recently, and we're full up here, so no can do.

Anonymous said...

The funny thing is, when I first knew you, you used to scream much louder when you saw bugs. You've mellowed considerably with regard to your "bugophobia". I'm always happy to "step on", "crunch", "catch and bring outside" if you need me to.

suZen said...

My bugphobia was all a ploy, based on needy girlfriend character but not on reality. No, I don't favor bugs but I can handle it. Unless they bite me. Or tickle me!!

Anonymous said...

I'm just glad my boys aren't sleeping away the day. It goes against my grain when the people in my house sleep past 10:00. It's hard to make a seventeen-year old do anything, much less go to bed on time and wake up in the morning. Thank God for the school bell.