Sunday, August 5, 2007

Garden detox


Dr. Andrew Weil recommends daily saunas for system detox. Who needs a sauna when we have summer in Georgia? An easy way to accomplish a deep sweat is to pull weeds after 10 a.m.

Especially invasive is grass, growing from the lawn into the garden beds. Isn't it amazing how we water, fertilize, cut, and groom our lawns and then must rip it out everywhere else? I could spray it (carefully) with weed killer, which is like chemo - it kills everything it touches. But when it is too close to living things that need to be retained . . .I prefer the alternative garden medicine of hand pulling. Getting in close, you see all sorts of amazing things.

Besides Jeremiah, my big fat bullfrog who "bau, bau, bau's" day and night, truly the masters of my backyard pond universe are Buddy and Sheila, my two dragonflies. Buddy prefers the pitcher plant, shown here. Sheila is too shy to get her photo taken. Click on the photo to get a closeup of this magnificent being.

Since my garden detox, I have showered and now am re-writing this post. I have on an Arbonne facial mask, my "Motherhood is not for sissies" T-shirt, and my pink "Bad ass (coffee)" shorts. Life is good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. The beauty of nature and a little physical exertion and sweat detox are key to many good things in life. Glad life is good there. Cape Cod is rocking our world here. Over and out. CHi-Town Pal

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful description! Sounds like you created a little piece of paradise, after the hard work.

Anonymous said...

The understanding of how to find so much joy from Dragonflies, Bullfrogs, and weeds is the real secret to life. A true reflection of your wonderful soul.

suZen said...

Thank you anonomi!!! Is that a real word??? Bau, bau, bau!