Friday, August 3, 2007

Letter to my son




Please let me recreate a letter very recently received, written to my son by a very dear friend, Ruth Ultmann,whose late husband, Dr. John Ultmann, was both a friend and business associate of my husband. Dr. Ultmann was the Director of the Cancer Research Center at the University of Chicago. He was also the teacher of my doctor, Dr. Leo Gordon, from Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Please know, that I feel like a celebrity every time I receive a letter from Ruth Ultmann. Except for the fact that they were the most real, down to earth people that you could ever meet. So it is more like family, really.

Here is the handwritten note from Ruth:

Dear John,

To-day I came across all 3 sections of "your" poems written by John, and hasten to send it to you, remembering your nice letter last Xmas.

Hope you have had a good year, and that all of you are AOK!!

With all my love and very best to all of you,

Very sincerely,

Ruth

John was born 10/30/92 (same day as my dad), so these poems were written about a week later.

I believe this was the first haiku:

Dark Clouds: storms roar,
the tree bent, but did not break,
Calm weather, sunshine
the sapling sprouts.

John E. Ultmann
Chicago, 11/7/92

Haiku #2:
The storm has passed
as have dark clouds.
Calmness prevails,
A lusty cry from John Gordon
Happiness!

John E. Ultmann
Chicago 11/7/92


And a conventional verse:


John Gordon Rae

October 30, 1992 was a special day,
it marked the arrival of John Gordon Rae
Checking in at 08:34 with a lusty cry,
John was ready to go, yes even fly!
He weighed 8 lbs 5 1/2 ounces, even:
and was appreciated by Susan and Stephen.
Considering all that's happened the lat 2 1/2 years,
This happy birth resulted in many cheers.
Good health, long life to John we all proclaim
and to Susan and Raes we wish the same.

Dr. John E. Ultmann
Chicago November 8, 1992


Learn more about Dr. Ultmann:


1 comment:

Poo Bear said...

John was a very special person to write such amazing Haiku's. A remarkable Dr with a more remarkable hear.