Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Better Ways to fight the Common Cold

Airborne is a combination of vitamins and herbs intended to prevent and shorten the duration of common illnesses like colds and flus. I have recently used it and it is amazingly effective! However, I was speaking about it to the clinic nurse at our middle school, and she mentioned that she heard it could cause liver damage, as well as damage to the esophagus. I did a quick search and found that it is the high dose of Vitamin A, as well as some other vitamins, that could be suspect. According to the experts at the company that make Aireborne, no damage should occur if you are taking it as recommended - less than five doses a day for a short duration. I will refer you to http://purplekangaroopuzzle.blogspot.com/2006/01/airborne-cold-remedy-helpful-dangerous.html to get the details.

Here's a more opinionated viewpoint - Ken Savage - who states: " Basically Airborne is trying to slowly poison America. " He recommends an old-fashioned remedy, the "hot totty," (we called them hot toddies). Good point, Ken: "Sure this contains alcohol but if your cold remedy is going to give you liver disease, why not at least catch a buzz from it?" Definitely an option!
http://www.kensavage.com/index.php/archives/best-cold-medicine-side-effects/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I've actually purchased that Airborne, thinking that it SOUNDS like a good idea, but never actually consumed it. Did you use it to avoid getting sick following an airplane ride, or just because you had a cold coming on? I have to say, the hot toddy/buzz idea is quite palatable to me, although I had no idea there were germ killing health reasons to enjoy such a beverage. Well, if wine has any health benefits, I'm covered for life.