Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day


I actually sat on the porch this morning and read the Sunday paper! The Atlanta Journal had two amusing articles on raising girls and boys. Both appeal to me for differing reasons. The girl article was "Raising girls: unpredictable paths certain." After reading this article, I think our parents probably had it easy, even though some of us are now getting tattoos in our 40s . . .
http://www.accessatlanta.com/arts/content/arts/stories/2007/06/14/0617sltattoo.html

The boys article: "Raising boys: Dangerous work." Tell me something I didn't already know. Any who, apparently The Dangerous Book for Boys is a best seller - I'll have to pick that up. I wonder if there is an article in there about how to break your brother's arm by driving a golf ball into him at close range . . . I guess I should write my own book! (Thoughts: how to dig to China in your back yard using tools found in your dad's workshop; best methods for putting out yard fires; how to extricate your brother's hands from a pool table ball dispenser; and more!)
http://www.accessatlanta.com/arts/content/arts/stories/2007/06/14/0617dangerousbook.html

Happy father's day to all!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that a picture of you and your father and brother? Dad looks very proud.

Getting a tattoo doesn't seem so bad. It's tribal, generational, rebellious, creative, bold, so many thing.

I wish I could tattoo my dream images, and change them as my moods or dreams change, kind of like a holographic, shapeshifting tattoo.

Anonymous said...

I've seen that picture before! Brings back memories of when we were very young (as were our parents!).

I treated dad to breakfast at the Rosebud and golf at Moweaqua Golf Course for Fathers Day. I also got him an interesting card. He should scan it and share it with you and Val. It will make you laugh.

suZen said...

There is a new type of tattoo ink that disintegrates when hit with a laser . . . and you could always have an airbrush or henna design. I think tattoos are beautiful!

This picture I just found in my baby book - and as you know, that book was added to until I was about two years old . . . Val wasn't born until I was 4! I asked dad to scan a pic of all three of us (Scott, susan and Val) but he has to get an album out of the tub where i packed everything, so highly unlikely!

Anonymous said...

So, these three middle aged brothers are sitting around having a beer at a family reunion - so one says to the other "Hey, do you remember that time you took that driver and shot the golf ball into my arm?" Both of the other brothers burst out laughing. Same exact situation happens at the next family reunion, except its a little more exaggerated - it's like a gift that keeps on giving, with interest. Sometimes, trauma has a way of fermenting into really great stories - you should definitely publish yours. Better yet, you may want to see if anyone in Hollywood is interested in turning your family for a reality series.

suZen said...

I love it!!! I never thought of it like that. This is only a snapshot in time . . . they will grow up (so fast) and someday be totally responsible for themselves. I don't see why we should wait - they should laugh at their own antics right now! (sans beer . . .)