Sunday, November 25, 2007

Where does fall end?

What I mean is, does anyone know where the 'actual' boundary is between the deciduous plants whose leaves turn fall colors and eventually drop and the tropical plants who make it greenily through four seasons? Probably not a sharp line of demarcation, but a gentle infusion of both plants on both sides until they just don't survive past their zone. I know the hardiness plant zones 9 - 10 are considered tropical, and they start up in northern Florida, southern Texas, and Mexico. So maybe I just answered my own question. But I still wonder if you can see it, from like a salletile map, the colors changing and then turning into the dull brown and evergreen that is left for winter next to a bright green of tropical mesh heading southward.
Well, I didn't get too far on the maps. . . so I guess zones that rule out deciduous plants due to heat intolerance miss out on the fall color. Someone should invent a deciduous tropical plant, I guess. Here's some more info on fall colors . . . so pretty.
Here in north Atlanta we still have very pretty color, our trees holding onto most of the leaves until just recently when we (finally) got some rain. OK, is it a bad thing when you talk about the weather on your blog (running out of things to say?).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is a salletile map? Is that something you can put on the floor of a bathroom? :-)

suZen said...

No, that is tile that you find in a village in the English county of Norfolk. As opposed to 'sale tile' which is indeed what I recently purchased for my bathroom remodel. Too bad I never learned how to spell check.